Los Angeles is a city that is brimming with attractions and things to do for the grown-ups, and for kids as well. Many of these activities are free! Here are 5 that we think any kid would love to see:
1. California Science Center – Not too many kids would be thrilled at the prospect of going to a museum, but that all changes when the museum in question is the California Science Center. Not only is this the place where the Space Shuttle Endeavor is now parked, it is also home to a large number of exhibits, both permanent and traveling. If you are looking for free stuff to do here, the good news is that those permanent exhibits are always free to visit. Best of all, they are interactive, which means the little ones can feel free to get in on the action.
2. Griffith Observatory – How often have you caught your kids staring off into space as they explore their imagination? They can do that for real at the iconic Griffith Observatory, where star gazing is taken to a whole new level. Admission is always free and the exhibits and displays available are incredible. You actually get a double bonus here, as the location of the observatory is high in the Hollywood hills, with great views of the city below.
3. Hit the beach – You don’t have to travel too far away from downtown L.A. before you land at the ocean and one of the many great beaches that dot the Pacific Coast Highway. You can settle on just one, or perhaps take a drive along the PCH and hit a few of them along the way. Pack some sunscreen and a bite to eat and you can have a fun day at the beach that the kids will love.
4. Getty Center – There is an expectation that the weather will co-operate when you have a fun day in California, but if you get a miserable, rainy day, think about taking the kids to the Getty Museum. This is another one that is free to get into and which encourages the kids to interact with the exhibits. Great for kids of all ages.
5. Watch TV – No, we don’t mean that you should sit in front of the TV all day, but rather go and see a live show being made. You can get these tickets for free in advance or simply spend some time around the TCL Chinese Theater, where tickets for the shows are always being given away. The TCL Chinese Theater is a cool place to hang out for free. You can check out the historic Hollywood Walk of Fame in front and visit with characters like Spiderman and Batman.