Let’s take a look at five neighbor types that may become a challenge to deal with, and how to get along with these individuals!
1. Dangerous Neighbors: Whether they deal drugs, fight with neighbors, throw wild parties or are registered pedophiles, these are people best left to the authorities. Keep your distance and try not to be a target.
2. The Home Devaluers: Though often friendly and helpful, the face value of these neighbor’s home may be lacking. Maybe the lawn is a pasture, or perhaps their house needs an exterior makeover. The driveway could be full of toys, bikes, and cars in various stages of repair. Their pets may wander the neighborhood defecating on your lawn. The first line of defense against those neighbors should be open communication. Point out politely the problem, and be prepared for antagonism or resistance. You’re probably not the first neighbor to complain. Document the date of your dialogue, and if you have a Home Owner’s Association, get them involved.
3. The Joneses: There is always someone in the neighborhood whose goal is to be richer, showier, and superior to others. Be pleasant and aloof, instead of trying to keep up.
4. The Crazy Ones: Someone is always the neighborhood snoop and/or the one who visits unannounced and stays. Be friendly, but be clear about where you may need to go next or if you are on a tight schedule.
5. Difficult People: These are the neighbors who are always trying to cause trouble with gossip pitting one neighbor against another. In their case, a small amount of contact goes a long way. Keep your distance, because these relationships can be toxic.